You should have the following information and documents with you as you fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):
- Your Social Security number.
- Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are providing parent information.
- Your driver’s license number if you have one.
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen.
- Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for yourself and spouse, if you are married, and for your parents if you are providing parent information.
- If you have not yet filed an income tax return, complete and submit the FAFSA using estimated tax information.
- Use income records for the year prior to the academic year for which you are applying: for instance, if you are filling out the 2008–09 FAFSA, you will need 2007 tax information.
- Records of your untaxed income, such as Social Security benefits, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits and veterans benefits, for yourself, and for your parents if you are providing parent information.
- Information on savings, investments, and business and farm assets for yourself, and for your parents if you are providing parent information.